Frequently Asked Questions about Transitional Kindergarten in BUSD

  • What is Transitional Kindergarten?

    TK is the first year of a two-year, state-funded kindergarten experience for students. Research suggests that children greatly benefit from programs that address school readiness. TK will provide this opportunity for students. Legislation has required that districts offer a transitional kindergarten program for students who will turn five years old within specific windows of time.  The window of time is now established to be September 2nd - December 2nd as students must turn five years old on or before September 1st to enroll in regular kindergarten.  

    Where will Transitional Kindergarten be offered in the Buckeye District?

    Final site locations at which transitional kindergarten classrooms will be located can only be determined once the District has had an opportunity to review all registration packets.  Families will be notified by June 17th if their student was admitted into a transitional kindergarten classroom, the location and the schedule.  Out of district students will need an approved interdistrict transfer to enroll. It is expected that, upon completion of TK, students will enroll in Kindergarten at their home school. 

    What are the eligibility requirements to enroll?

    To enroll, students must turn five years old between September 2nd and December 2nd. Students who turn five after December 2, but prior to March 1, will be enrolled as they turn five years old if a mid-year classroom is open and space is available. Parents can complete a registration packet so that their child's name is placed on the waiting list.  Please note that there are priorities for enrolled based on the ages of the children.  

    What will the schedule be like for the children? 

    TK classes will follow the Kindergarten bell schedule for the site where the class is housed. For exact times of AM and PM programs, please visit each school's website. It is important to note that BUSD operates an early release program on Wednesdays for all students. Extended day childcare is available through the El Dorado County Office of Education Extended Day Services: 530-295-2298.                                                                                                                    

    How do I know if my child should be enrolled in Transitional Kindergarten instead of a regular one-year kindergarten program?

    If your child's birthday falls between September 2 and December 2, California law mandates placement in a Transitional Kindergarten program.  After assessment and observation by Transitional Kindergarten staff, there may be conversation about placement in a one-year kindergarten program (with parent permission) if that appears to be the best placement for the child.  

    If your child will turn five on or before September 1, then they will be placed in the Kindergarten program.  However, the classroom teacher will be frequently assessing your child and will notify you if a different placement would be more suitable.  If the parent agrees and space permits the child may be placed in the transitional kindergarten program. 

    Will there be additional childcare options for my child at the school site to accommodate parent schedules?

    The El Dorado County Office of Education will be offering Extended Day services. Their office can be reached by calling: 530-295-2298. 

    How do I enroll my child in Transitional Kindergarten?

    You can pick up a registration packet for Transitional Kindergarten at any of our elementary schools or at the District Office. You will need proof of residency (two pieces) in the Buckeye Union School District and a copy of your child’s birth certificate to obtain a registration packet.  For proof of residency, you will need to provide two pieces of data which may include a utility bill, rental agreement, etc. If you have a signed interdistrict agreement, you can also obtain a registration packet.