Transitional Kindergarten

  • For children who will turn five between September 2nd and February 2nd (effective 2022/2023 school year), Transitional Kindergarten provides a state-funded, two-year Kindergarten experience.

    For children who turn five just prior to September 2nd (Kindergarten eligible), but have a Transitional Kindergarten preference, the District provides a waiting list, and if space is available, the District may enroll your child. Priority is given to those students whose birthday is closest to the September 2nd cutoff.  

    Registration will be accepted at all of our elementary schools. When a child is registered, the forms include the opportunity for parents to indicate a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd preference in terms of location. Final site locations at which Transitional Kindergarten classrooms will be placed will be determined once the District has had an opportunity to review all registration packets. Although every effort will be made to provide families with the first, second, or third choice that was provided on registration forms in terms of location and daily schedule for their child, it is important to understand that at times not all requests can be honored and students will need to be placed where space is available. Families will be notified by the end of June if their student was admitted into a Transitional Kindergarten classroom; the notification will include the location and the schedule.  

    More information about registration can be found HERE.

Frequently Asked Questions about Transitional Kindergarten in BUSD

  • What is Transitional Kindergarten?

    TK is the first year of a two-year, state-funded kindergarten experience for students. Research suggests that children greatly benefit from programs that address school readiness. TK will provide this opportunity for students. Legislation has required that districts offer a transitional kindergarten program for students who will turn five years old within specific windows of time.  The window of time is now established to be September 2nd - February 2nd (effective 2022/2023 school year) as students must turn five years old on or before September 1st to enroll in regular kindergarten.  

    Where will Transitional Kindergarten be offered in the Buckeye District?

    Final site locations at which transitional kindergarten classrooms will be located can only be determined once the District has had an opportunity to review all registration packets. Families will be notified by the end of June if their student was admitted into a transitional kindergarten classroom, and will then learn the location and the schedule.  Out-of-district students will need an approved interdistrict transfer to enroll. Upon completion of TK, it is expected that the student will return for Kindergarten at their home school (school of residence).

    For the 2021/2022 school year, TK is offered at Silva Valley, Oak Meadow, Blue Oak, and Valley View Charter Montessori.

    What will the schedule be like for the children? 

    TK classes typically follow the Kindergarten bell schedule for the site where the class is housed. For exact times of a.m. and p.m. programs, please visit each school's website. It is important to note that BUSD operates an early release program on Wednesdays for all students.

    Will there be additional childcare options for my child at the school site to accommodate parent schedules?

    The El Dorado County Office of Education will be offering Extended Day services. Their office can be reached by calling (530) 295-2298.

    How do I enroll my child in Transitional Kindergarten?

    You can pick up a registration packet for Transitional Kindergarten at any of our elementary schools or at the District Office. You will need proof of residency (two pieces) in the Buckeye Union School District and a copy of your child’s birth certificate to obtain a registration packet.  For proof of residency, you will need to provide two pieces of data, which may include a utility bill, rental agreement, etc. If you have a signed interdistrict agreement, you can also obtain a registration packet.